A car accident can be a terrifying and frustrating experience, no matter how many times you have been involved in one. However, if you experience a collision for the first time and suffered serious injuries, there are important steps you must take in order to ensure the recovery of your entitled compensation. Failure to take the adequate steps can compromise your chances of recovering the full and reasonable amount.
The following are the proper steps to take immediately after a car accident:
- Remain calm and check for serious injuries. Take deep breaths and regain your composure to assess the situation with a clear mind. Check to see if you or any of your passengers need immediate medical attention.
- Call the police. If you are not in good physical condition to gather your own evidence, contact law enforcement so they can file an accident report for you. Keep in mind that you must only disclose pertinent facts instead of going into specific details.
- Contact your insurance company. It is imperative that you do not apologize or admit to any wrongdoing since it can be used against you in your pursuit of compensation. Simply report the incident so they could start the filing process.
- Exchange contact information with the other driver. Make sure you get their phone number, e-mail address, insurance policy number, and license plate number.
- Take photographs of the scene. Whether you use your smartphone or a digital camera, take pictures of the scene of the accident. Snap photos of damage to your vehicle and the other driver’s vehicle. Do not forget to take pictures of visible injuries, skid marks, debris on the road, and the street signs.
- Talk to witnesses. Kindly ask if any witnesses of the accident are willing to provide their contact information.
- Speak with an attorney. Start building your car accident case with an experienced and skilled car accident lawyer. If you suffered serious injuries, your attorney can investigate the scene, collect evidence, and talk to witnesses for you while you make the best recovery possible.
If you have suffered a serious injury after being involved in a car accident caused by a negligent driver in Las Vegas, schedule a free consultation with Isaacson Law today.